Note: You can use Wotja for FREE in "Free Mode". If you want more capabilities and/or a longer Music Play Time, then simply purchase an In-App Subscription. We also make available a 3 Day FREE TRIAL.
We adopted a subscription model for Wotja 4 for a number of important reasons. If you want to know more about these then see this forum post.
If you don't like subscriptions or their benefits (see below) then check out Wotja 17, the paid for version of Wotja with the same capabilities as Wotja (Unlocked). It has no In-App Store or In-App Subscriptions.
What is an In-App Subscription?
An In-App Subscription is just a mechanism that lets you pay to access certain features in an app for a set period of time.
What are the benefits?
In-App Subscriptions are good for many reasons and are not the bad thing some people might claim or fear they are, especially when used by a bone-fide developer (like us) that creates high quality paid for software that does not treat you as the product. They are a win-win for both customer and developer.
Some of their benefits, and why we now use them in Wotja, are as follows:
- They help us fund our continued development of the app over an extended period of time.
- They allow us to provide a mechanism to extend the Music Play Time (see FAQ: "XT extensions - Who are these for?").
- They allow us to provide a 3 day FREE TRIAL.
- They let us spend more time working for our existing customers rather than spending that time in trying to find new ones.
- They save you money over the course of a year compared to the price of the non-subscription version.
- They help you with cash flow as they split the annual cost into a number of smaller payments during the year (we use a 6 monthly subscription period).
- They make it cheaper to try a fully featured version than to purchase it outright - if you don't like the app and/or stop wanting to use it then simply cancel your subscription any time up to 24 hours prior to renewal.
- They mean that during your subscription period you should continue to see improvements and new features that we would previously have had to hold back to charge for in another new paid-for version of the app.
- They keep us on our toes as you can cancel at any time.
What are "auto-renewing" In-App Subscriptions?
These are just In-App Subscriptions that will auto-renew when they expire without the need for you to set up a purchase all over again. They are convenient because, for something you love and use regularly (hopefully Wotja!), you do not need to make a new purchase each time the subscription ends. Your creative relaxation is uninterrupted. They are very easy to cancel though, see below.
Is it easy to cancel my Wotja In-App Subscription?
Yes, it is very easy to cancel your subscription and you can do so at any time up to 24hrs before it renews. You may even decide to cancel it just after you purchased it - that is your choice - so that it won't automatically renew.
What happens if I cancel my Wotja In-App Subscription?
All that happens is that at the end of the subscription period Wotja will revert to operating in "Free Mode", i.e. the feature set and capabilities you can user for free. If or when you decide you would like to start a new subscription you can do so at any time.
Important: Provided you have Wotja installed on your device and are using Wotja with iCloud then if your subscription lapses you will always have access to and be able to open/play in "Free Mode" any previously created Wotja files. If you are using Wotja with iCloud and have to reinstall Wotja then you are still fine as your Wotja files should still be safe in iCloud. However, if you were not using iCloud and deleted Wotja without first backing up your files somewhere then you will have lost those files.
How do I cancel my Wotja In-App Subscription?
Apple provides detailed information on managing subscriptions. Please refer to : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039
- Go to the Wotja Store and press the "Manage Subscriptions" button (it is shown in the area marked as "Miscellaneous".
- You then see the Wotja subscription page and you can see what level of subscription you have.
- Press the "Cancel Subscription" button.
- Press the "Confirm" button in the pop up.
- Your In-App Subscription will no longer auto-renew.
- At the end of the subscription period Wotja will simply revert to operating in "Free Mode".
How are the Wotja subscription prices decided?
It is up to the developer to set the prices for the subscription options they decide to make available (both subject to change) and they will balance many factors - it is ultimately a cost/return equation. If prices are too high then the in-app subscriptions are not purchased; if too low the app will eventually be abandoned and die because the costs are too high or returns too low to justify continuing to maintain / develop it.
Getting that balance right is an art, not a science. Because of that we may need to adjust our In-App Subscriptions and prices over time.
How does Wotja In-App Subscription pricing stack up?
Prices for our apps have fluctuated over the years, but you may in the past have purchased a non-subscription Noatikl 3 for iOS ($12.99), Mixtikl 7 for iOS ($7.99), Liptikl 2 for iOS ($4.99), Wotja 3 for iOS ($3.99, but no longer available) and the 2 Albums in Tiklbox for iOS ($1.99 each). Had you done that it would have cost you around $34 USD (or equivalent in iTunes pricing). If you had got some of those via one of the latest bundles we did (which offered 15% discount on bundle purchases of paid apps) then it could have cost you around $29 USD.
A 6-month In-App Subscription for Wotja (Unlocked) is currently just $4.99 USD (i.e.$9.98 a year which is about 1/3 of what you would have had to pay before to get all this functionality, and a very good price for an app as powerful as Wotja). The feature set in Wotja is already way more powerful than was in Noatikl 3 for iOS where you had, in effect, access to only 1 cell and there was no track mixing, no content randomisation, no per voice TTM, no support for loops etc. Even if you had purchased your apps at lower prices then the Wotja (Unlocked) In-App Subscription represents a massive saving on the above. It is like having in one app Mixtikl 8, Noatikl 4, Liptikl 3 and Tiklbox 2 (were we to have developed them), along with all the other new things we are adding.
If you decide not to continue with your In-App Subscription then the restrictions in Wotja "Free Mode" are re-instated.
If you just don't like the Wotja in-app subscriptions?
That's OK; we have now released Wotja 2017, the paid for version of Wotja with the same capabilities as Wotja (Unlocked). It has no In-App Store or In-App Subscriptions and will be updated in tandem with the subscription version up until the end of 2017. If you want further updates after this time you would need to purchase the *next* paid for version. Alternative: Get the subscription version of Wotja and purchase one of the In-App Subscription tiers. These are: Wotja (Unlocked) or, for extended Music Play Times, a range of "Wotja XT" tiers (see FAQ: "XT extensions - Who are these for?").
What about a transition Bundle?
Sorry, but the iOS "Wotja Pro 2017 Transition Bundle" that was available for a limited time has now been withdrawn. There are no bundles available at the present time and because we now have just one paid for app per platform we don't expect them to come back!
We hope the above info helps
We want you to be clear as to what subscriptions are and why we now use them in Wotja. If you purchase a subscription to Wotja then you get our eternal gratitude and you will know that you have encouraged us to continue development of our generative music tools. Thank you!