We adopted a subscription model for Wotja / Wotja X for a number of important reasons. If you don't like subscriptions or their benefits (see below) then check out Wotja 2018 or Wotja X 2018, the paid for 'annual' versions with the same capabilities as the subscription versions (where available) with an active 'Unlocked' In-App Subscription.
What is an auto-renewing In-App Subscription?
An 'auto-renewing In-App Subscription' is a subscription that auto-renews after a period of time (e.g. week, month etc.), meaning you are charged again at the beginning of each such period. They are convenient because, for something you love and use regularly, you do not need to make a new purchase each time the subscription ends. They are very easy to cancel.
An 'In-App Purchase' is completely different. These are purchased ONCE and do NOT auto-renew like a subscription.
What are the benefits?
If you are the kind of person that is always likely to have a device that can run the latest version of OS, and you do like to keep it updated with the latest version, then In-App Subscriptions are good for many reasons. They are not the bad thing some people might claim or fear they are, especially when used by a bone-fide developer (like us) that creates high quality paid for software that does not treat you as the product. They are a win-win for both customer and developer.
Some of their benefits, and why we now use them in Wotja / Wotja X, are as follows:
- They help us fund our continued development of the app over an extended period of time.
- They allow us to provide a mechanism to extend the Music Play Time Timeout (see FAQ: "Long Play subscriptions - Who are these for?").
- They allow us to provide a 3 Day Free Trial (Wotja only).
- They let us spend more time working for our existing customers rather than spending that time in trying to find new ones.
- They save you money over the course of a year compared to the price of the non-subscription 'annual' version.
- They help you with cash flow as they split the annual cost into a number of smaller payments during the year (we use a monthly subscription period for the 'Unlocked' subscription and weekly period for 'Long Play' subscriptions).
- They make it cheaper to try a fully featured version than to purchase it outright - if you don't like the app and/or stop wanting to use it then simply cancel your subscription any time up to 24 hours prior to renewal.
- They mean that during your subscription period you should continue to see improvements and new features that we would previously have had to hold back to charge for in another new paid-for 'annual' version of the app.
- They keep us on our toes as you can cancel at any time.
NB: If you really don't like them (and some don't like In-App Subscriptions on principle, however good the developer is), or you have an older device that may be limited for future operating system upgrades, then you may instead wish to purchase the paid for 'annual' version of Wotja / Wotja X.
Is it easy to cancel my In-App Subscription?
Yes, it is very easy to cancel your subscription and you can do so at any time up to 24hrs before it renews. You may even decide to cancel it just after you purchased it - that is your choice - so that it won't automatically renew.
What happens if I cancel my In-App Subscription?
All that happens is that at the end of the subscription period Wotja / Wotja X will revert to operating in 'Free Mode', i.e. the feature set and capabilities you can use for free. If or when you decide you would like to start a new subscription you can do so at any time.
Important: Provided you have Wotja / Wotja X installed on your device and are using Wotja with iCloud then if your subscription lapses you will always have access to and be able to open/play in 'Free Mode' any previously created Wotja files. If you are using Wotja / Wotja X with iCloud and have to reinstall Wotja / Wotja X then you are still fine as your Wotja files should still be safe in iCloud. However, if you were not using iCloud and deleted Wotja / Wotja X without first backing up your files somewhere then you will have lost those files.
How do I cancel my In-App Subscription?
Apple provides detailed information on managing subscriptions. Please refer to : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039
In Wotja / Wotja X:
- Go to the in-app Wotja Store and press the "Manage Subscriptions" button (it is shown in the area marked as "Miscellaneous".
- You then see the Wotja / Wotja X subscription page and you can see what level of subscription you have.
- Press the "Cancel Subscription" button.
- Press the "Confirm" button in the pop up.
- Your In-App Subscription will no longer auto-renew.
- At the end of the subscription period Wotja will simply revert to operating in 'Free Mode'.
How are the subscription prices decided?
It is up to the developer to set the prices for the subscription options they decide to make available (both subject to change) and they will balance many factors - it is ultimately a cost/return equation. If prices are too high then the in-app subscriptions are not purchased; if too low the app will eventually be abandoned and die because the costs are too high or returns too low to justify continuing to maintain / develop it.
Getting that balance right is an art, not a science. Because of that we may need to adjust our In-App Subscriptions and prices over time.
How does In-App Subscription pricing stack up?
Prices for our apps have fluctuated over the years, but you may in the past have purchased a non-subscription Noatikl 3 for iOS ($12.99), Mixtikl 7 for iOS ($7.99), Liptikl 2 for iOS ($4.99), Wotja 3 for iOS ($3.99, but no longer available) and the 2 Albums in Tiklbox for iOS ($1.99 each, no longer available to purchase). Had you done that it would have cost you around $34 USD (or equivalent in iTunes pricing). If you had got some of those via one of the latest bundles we did (which offered 15% discount on bundle purchases of paid apps) then it could have cost you around $29 USD.
A 6 month 'Unlocked' In-App Subscription for 'Wotja' (the successor to Noatikl, Mixtikl, Liptikl and Tiklbox) Unlocked is currently only $4.99 USD [iOS] and $13.99 USD [macOS] - a very good price for an app as powerful as Wotja.
A 1 month 'Unlocked' In-App Subscription for 'Wotja X' is currently just $0.99 USD
[iOS] and $1.99 USD
[macOS] - making it easy to dip in and out of as you wish.
If you decide not to continue with your In-App Subscription then the limitations in 'Free Mode' are re-instated.
If you just don't like the In-App Subscriptions?
That's OK; get the annual version (where available) instead! These being Wotja 2018 and Wotja X 2018.
We hope the above info helps
We want you to be clear as to what subscriptions are and why we now use them in Wotja / Wotja X. If you purchase a subscription then you get our eternal gratitude and you will know that you have encouraged us to continue development of our generative music tools. Thank you!