We adopted a subscription model for Wotja for a number of important reasons. If you don't like subscriptions or their benefits (see below) then check out Wotja X 2018, the paid-for 'annual' version with the same capabilities as the subscription version with an active 'Unlocked' In-App Subscription (as available).
What is an auto-renewing In-App Subscription?
An 'auto-renewing In-App Subscription' is a subscription that auto-renews after a period of time (e.g. week, month etc.), meaning you are charged again at the beginning of each such period. They are convenient because, for something you love and use regularly, you do not need to make a new purchase each time the subscription ends. They are very easy to cancel.
An 'In-App Purchase' is completely different. These are purchased ONCE and do NOT auto-renew like a subscription.
What are the benefits?
If you are the kind of person that is always likely to have a device that can run the latest version of OS, and you do like to keep it updated with the latest version, then monthly auto-renewing In-App Subscriptions are good for many reasons - and they are easy to cancel at any time. They are not the bad thing some people might claim or fear they are, especially when used by a bone-fide developer (like us) that creates high quality paid for software that does not treat you as the product. They are a win-win for both customer and developer.
Some of their benefits (some for you, some for us), and why we now use them in Wotja, are as follows:
- For low cost trial/evalation and/or to save/export edits you may make whilst using the app for free and then decide you want to keep. If you no longer want to use the app then simply cancel your subscription any time up to 24 hours prior to renewal.
- For occasional use i.e. where you wish to dip in and out at times during the year. If you no longer want to use the app then simply cancel your subscription any time up to 24 hours prior to renewal.
- Where you prefer to make regular monthly payments instead of a one-off payment (they are also a way for fans to pay a little more for the app over time and you will know that if you continue to subscribe for more than a year we will get a little bit more in terms of revenue). If you no longer want to use the app then simply cancel your subscription any time up to 24 hours prior to renewal.
- To provide a mechanism to extend the Music Play Time Timeout for Long Play use (see FAQ: "Long Play subscriptions - Who are these for?").
- To allow us to spend more time working for our existing customers rather than spending that time in trying to find new ones.
- To keep us on our toes as you can cancel at any time.
- They can also act as a kind of tip jar for superfans: an 'Unlocked' subscription works out a little bit more over the year than an Annual version so if you are a 'super fan' who gets a lot from Wotja and really love what we are doing but wished there was a way to help support our efforts by somehow giving just a little extra (we are in a small niche remember), then this is it.
NB: You may instead wish to purchase the paid-for 'annual' version (as available). Over the course of a year the annual version will cost less than a year of subscriptions.
Is it easy to cancel my In-App Subscription?
Yes, it is very easy to cancel your subscription and you can do so at any time up to 24 hrs before it renews. You may even decide to cancel it just after you purchased it - that is your choice - so that it won't automatically renew.
What happens if I cancel my In-App Subscription?
All that happens is that at the end of the subscription period the app will revert to operating in 'Free Mode', i.e. the feature set and capabilities you can use for free. If or when you decide you would like to start a new subscription you can do so at any time.
Important: Provided you have Wotja installed on your device and are using Wotja with iCloud then if your subscription lapses you will always have access to and be able to open/play in 'Free Mode' any previously created Wotja files. If you are using Wotja with iCloud and have to reinstall Wotja then you are still fine as your Wotja files should still be safe in iCloud. However, if you were not using iCloud and deleted the relevant Wotja A/Wotja X app without first backing up your files somewhere then you will have lost those files.
How do I cancel my In-App Subscription?
Apple provides detailed information on managing subscriptions. Please refer to : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039
- Go to the in-app Wotja Store and press the "Manage Subscriptions" button (it is shown in the area marked as "Miscellaneous".
- You then see the Wotja subscription page and you can see what level of subscription you have.
- Press the "Cancel Subscription" button.
- Press the "Confirm" button in the pop up.
- Your In-App Subscription will no longer auto-renew.
- At the end of the subscription period the app will simply revert to operating in 'Free Mode'.
How are the subscription prices decided?
It is up to the developer to set the prices for the subscription options they decide to make available (both subject to change) and they will balance many factors - it is ultimately a cost/return equation.
Getting that balance right is an art, not a science. Because of that we may need to adjust our In-App Subscriptions and prices over time.
How does In-App Subscription pricing stack up?
Prices for our apps have fluctuated over the years, but you may in the past have purchased a non-subscription Noatikl 3 for iOS ($12.99), Mixtikl 7 for iOS ($7.99), Liptikl 2 for iOS ($4.99), Wotja 3 for iOS ($3.99, but no longer available) and the 2 Albums in Tiklbox for iOS ($1.99 each, no longer available to purchase). Had you done that it would have cost you around $34 USD (or equivalent in iTunes pricing). If you had got some of those via one of the latest bundles we did (which offered 15% discount on bundle purchases of paid apps) then it could have cost you around $29 USD.
A 1 month 'Unlocked' In-App Subscription for Wotja (the successor to Noatikl, Mixtikl, Liptikl and Tiklbox) is currently just $1.99 USD [iOS] and $3.99 USD [macOS] - making it easy to dip in and out of as you wish.
If you decide not to continue with your In-App Subscription then the limitations in 'Free Mode' are re-instated.
If you just don't like the In-App Subscriptions?
That's OK; get the annual version (where available) instead!
We hope the above info helps
We want you to be clear as to what subscriptions are and why and how we use them in '/'. If you purchase a subscription then you get our eternal gratitude and you will know that you have encouraged us to continue development of our generative music tools. Thank you!